Saturday, February 21, 2009

Where in the World are the Movies Closed on Friday Nights?

Answer: Jerusalem. So it is a Friday night here at the wonderful JC. I spent the morning in class and then ventured off into the “Suk” which is the Jewish market. Fridays at the Suk are pretty crazy because Shabbat starts at sundown, so everyone is doing preparatory shopping beforehand. I bought Shabbat sweet bread which was divine and got a huge thing of fresh strawberries. To top things off, I saw two Jewish guys doing a rap, AND miraculously managed to catch it on video camera...the one time in my life where I’ve had it out when I needed it.

During dinner my friend Jess suggested we go and see a movie. I haven’t gone out to see a movie in far too long so I was willing to shell out the shecks and go see one. So we get all excited and run up to the Office to check the times, and we had 30 minutes to get to West Jerusalem. Then we realize that West Jerusalem shuts down on Friday nights, so we went to ask the people in the Office if they thought the theater would be open. The guy laughed at me in my face. So, while millions of Americans go to the movies on a Friday night, Jews and non-Jews alike are Shabbating it up in the Holy Land.

Fortunately we still find fun things to do around here since the whole city shuts down. Last Friday we had a Friday the 13th Disturbia party which was nothing short of rockin. Lauren, Chels and I went as 3 genies thanks to Chelsea's ever-growing genie pants collection.
And since I haven't updated in oh so long, here's a pic of Cate and I at the Dome of the Rock.

6 comments:

  1. the movies would be closed right when you need them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Carly!!!! ...the end. ps. you need to update more. ...the end end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you are having fun. i know what you mean about the camera thing-i never catch cool stuff because i can never find it in my purse. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carly! I didn't know you were in Jerusalem! That was one of the best experiences of my life!! Hopefully your group was more lucky than ours and didn't get sick in Egypt. Your blog brings back good memories for me :) Stay safe, learn tons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi C CUR! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. My email is Chelsey.Denby{at}gmail{dot}com. I love your blog and the postings! Miss you like CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those genie pants are HAUTE. I'll totally rock those in the states if I find some. That bread sounds divine, we'll any fresh bread sounds good to me. Sorry about friday night movie night, something to look forward to i suppose.

    ReplyDelete